C. difficile is a germ that causes major colon inflammation and deadly diarrhea. This is your opportunity to work with Alliant Quality and other local and national experts on a QAPI initiative to prevent and reduce C. difficile in nursing homes. The initiative will support nursing home submission of data into the CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) database which will provide for analysis and creation of a national baseline for C. difficile infections in nursing homes NHSN provides LTC facilities with a customized system to track infections in a streamlined and systematic way. When facilities track infections, they can identify problems and track progress toward stopping infections.
Need to enroll your facility for the first time?
If your facility is already enrolled:
- Email email@example.com to apply for a SAMS card
If your facility needs to submit C.diff data:
- Use the Internet Explorer browser and go to - https://sams.cdc.gov
- Instructions for Reporting your C.diff Data to NHSN
- Nursing Home Infection Preventionist Training Course
- Nursing Home Training Sessions Introduction
- C difficile Training
For more information, email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
NHSN’s long-term care component can be used by nursing homes, skilled nursing facilities, chronic care facilities, and assisted living and residential care facilities. There are many useful links on this web page, including five specific components for LTC facilities:
- MDRO/C.Diff – surveillance for C. difficile, MRSA, and other drug-resistant infections
- Report prevention process measures – hand hygiene, gloves, and gown adherence
- Surveillance for healthcare personnel exposure
- Surveillance for healthcare personnel vaccination
- UTI – report urinary tract infections
Each of these components includes training resources, protocols, forms, support materials, analysis resources, and FAQs.
This section will utilize recordings, slides and additional materials and resources to promote the appropriate use of C. difficile. You may click the links to access these resources by scrolling down and clicking on the various links for each individual title.
- Tracking Infections in Long-term Care Facilities
Title: More Discussion on Antibiotic Stewardship Is your facility on track? | Shop Talk Project Slides
Title: Antibiotic Stewardship and the C.difficile Connection | Shop Talk Project Slides
Title: C diff Shop Talk & Reporting | Shop Talk Project Slides
Title: Focus on CDI Lab Testing | Shop Talk Project Slides
Title: C. difficile Reporting Shop Talk | Shop Talk Project Slides
Title: C. difficile Data Entry What’s in it for me? | Shop Talk Project Slides